Mind in the Heart

Exploring an Orthodox Christian Worldview

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, AL

I am a former Anglican Priest (REC) who has recently converted to the Orthodox Church.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

From Methodist to Presbyterian

When I went to college I had a growing desire to gain a deeper understanding of Holy Scripture and Christian theology. I began to realize that the Christian depth that I was seeking was not going to be found in the watered down version of Christianity that was being communicated to me in the Methodist church. One day I was introduced to an elder in a Presbyterian church(PCA)who began to tell me about the Protestant Reformation and Reformed theology which is basically the theology of John Calvin. I later started attending the Presbyterian church where I found a place that studied Holy Scripture in a more in-depth way and even talked a little about church history. I learned about the controversies of the Reformation as well as theologians like Luther, Calvin and Zwingli. We studied the book of Romans verse by verse and even looked at the meaning of some of the words in Greek. I learned about the sovereignty of God and the doctrine of predestination but the worship of the Presbyterian church did not seem to match the sovereign God we talked about. There did not seem to be any reverence and fear of God like I saw demonstrated in Holy Scripture. I had discovered a theological tradition that took Holy Scripture and history more seriously than the United Methodist but I was frustrated because the worship was so inconsistent with the God we studied. The Presbyterians seem to put a lot of emphasis on the mind but very little on worship. I also began to wonder why we did not talk very much about the first 1500 years of church history. God used the Presbyterians to start me on the path of studying the history of the church and worship which would later lead me down the road to the Orthodox church.