Mind in the Heart

Exploring an Orthodox Christian Worldview

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, AL

I am a former Anglican Priest (REC) who has recently converted to the Orthodox Church.

Friday, October 13, 2006

The Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers

The Sunday Sermons of the Great Fathers: A Manual of Preaching, Spiritual Reading and Meditation and The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture by Intervarsity Press were my two primary resources for preparing sermons. Having to prepare sermons each week gave me the opportunity to go deeper into the Fathers (early church theologians) of the Church. When I started reading Orthodox theology, I discovered that Orthodox theologians were saying the same thing in the same spirit that I was getting from the sermons of the Fathers. So reading the Fathers prepared the ground for me in understanding Orthodox Christianity and now Orthodox Christianity has helped me to see the theology of the Fathers more clearly.