Mind in the Heart

Exploring an Orthodox Christian Worldview

My Photo
Name:
Location: Madison, AL

I am a former Anglican Priest (REC) who has recently converted to the Orthodox Church.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Fr. Patrick Reardon

My favorite contemporary Orthodox theologian is Fr. Patrick Reardon. I do not know of anybody who is more deeply rooted and knowledgeable of Holy Scripture than Fr. Patrick. If I was in a Bible quiz competition then he would be the one I would choose to be on my team. I first encountered Fr. Patrick through his writings in Touchstone Magazine. I met Fr. Patrick at a Touchstone Magazine conference in 1999 where he spoke on the Fatherhood of God. It was the first time I had ever heard an Orthodox theologian speak. Fr. Patrick later visited St. Francis on the Hill in the year 2000 and spoke on the four-fold interpretation of Holy Scripture as explained by St. John Cassian. In 2004 Fr. Patrick came to Alpine for a conference we hosted at Holy Cross. Fr. Patrick is one of the main reasons why I am Orthodox. His solid teaching on Holy Scripture has been very influential in my life, but most of all he has prayed for me and my family since the day he met us. Every time I see Fr. Patrick he asks how my wife and children are by name. I know that he still prays for us by name every single day. The main reason we are Orthodox today is because Fr. Patrick never stopped praying for us in our journey to the Orthodox Church. Fr. Patrick has written some very good books. He has written Christ in the Psalms, Christ in His Saints, The Trial of Job and his newest book is Chronicles of History and Worship. His books are published by Conciliar Press and they are written in a devotional style. Thank God for Fr. Patrick Reardon and may God grant him many, many years.